Saturday, December 09, 2006

Derek Jeter hits with his Driven

Derek Jeter hits with his Driven
Tuesday, December 05, 2006
SAMANTHA CRITCHELL
The Associated Press





Derek Jeter might wear a 2 on his New York Yankees' jersey, but right now, he's No. 1 with a group of devoted female fans - Avon ladies.

Jeter is the inspiration, spokesman and model for Derek Jeter Driven, the newest men's fragrance from Avon Products Inc.

Jeter said he was as surprised as anyone that a beauty company came to him with a partnership deal. "It was something I never thought about, something that never crossed my mind."

Have you always worn fragrance?

Yes. I've changed allegiances already and have been wearing the samples of Driven for months. I'm not just throwing my name and face on something.

How involved were you in the development?

When I was approached and decided to do it, I decided to be involved in everything - the scent, the packaging, the logo, the bottle. I knew what I wanted. I didn't want it to overtake a room. I wanted it to be clean and sophisticated.

Is fashion and your overall appearance important to you?

Everyone should be aware of how they present themselves. A good fragrance can give you confidence. And the Yankees have a lot of rules: no long hair, clean cut, no facial hair except your top lip, we always travel in a jacket.

Can you describe your style?

I know more what I dislike. I would be in a suit today even if I didn't have to. You can't be overdressed but you can be underdressed.

Are you comfortable being the model for the Driven ads?

For the shoot, I didn't use much makeup. I'm not really into the practice of wearing much makeup.

Driven includes notes of grapefruit, oak moss and spice. Do you have a favorite smell?

What I like about a scent is you smell something and it brings back a story ... I love the smells of the stadium, popcorn, hot dogs - the first thing I think of when I smell hot dogs is the ballpark.

Did you tell your teammates that you were working on a perfume?

One (teammate) knew. As long as it smells good, it'll be fine. They always want free stuff, so they'll probably wear it if I give it to them.

Do you think there's anyone out there who will be turned off by a cologne that comes from a Yankee shortstop?

We haven't gotten into that yet, but we probably will hear about it in Boston.




© 2006 The Birmingham News
© 2006 al.com All Rights Reserved.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home